Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Internet needs Copy Editors

I, like almost everyone else, use facebook daily. One of the applications that facebook has is Bumper Stickers; which are cute little quotes or pictures with funny things on them to send to your friends or attach to your own profile. As I looked through the stickers I noticed more and more were grammatically incorrect or they had blatant spelling errors. I realized that not only did people not care about their lack of grammatical skills, they had no problem broadcasting them to the (facebook) world. I feel that now, more than ever there should be a call to action for copy editors to take on the Internet world with more force.

With slang and texting all these social networking sites allow this deterioration of the English language and I think that there should be some sort of policing before grammar is lost. I struggle with it, and I know how easy it is to slip into the informal world we have created for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment